Thursday, 3 October 2013

Buttermilk Pancakes

I grew up eating the Bisquick pancakes that mom made for breakfast.  I loved them and never knew there was anything different.  When I got married, Bisquick seemed to take too many ingredients--milk and eggs, so we bought the Krusteaz brand pancake mix.  Then, one year ago, I came upon this recipe from the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook, and now all of the other mixes taste disgusting to our whole family.

1 cup flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 beaten egg
1 cup buttermilk ( for each cup of buttermilk needed, place 1 Tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice in a glass measuring cup.  Add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid.  Let sit for a few minutes.)
2 Tbsp. cooking oil

1.  Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.  Combine the egg, buttermilk, and oil.  Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture.  Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). 

2.  For standard-size pancakes, pour or spread about 1/4 cup batter onto a lightly greased griddle (I like to use a lot of oil because I like the crunchy edges.).  Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown, turning to second side when pancakes have bubbly surfaces.

Makes:  8 pancakes ( I double the recipe so everyone gets at least 2 pancakes.)
Nutrition Facts:  114 cal., 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 28 mg chol., 202 mg sodium, 15 g carbo., 0 g fiber, 3 g pro.

Whole wheat-buttermilk pancakes:  Prepare as above, except substitute whole wheat four for all-purpose flour and brown sugar for sugar.  ( I haven't tried this variation because I am not "into" whole wheat stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment