Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Spinach and Feta Pita Bake

I just made these for dinner last night and I am still craving them this morning.  Travis said they were good, but he wouldn't specially request them; Henry, Tillie and Nian Wei loved them as much as me, and Grace and Zoey weren't too crazy about them, although Zoey still ate it all.

Makes 6 servings

6 (6 in) whole wheat pita breads
1 (6 oz) tub sun-dried tomato pesto (WinCo doesn't have this, so I just purchased the regular pesto)
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped
4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 pinch ground black pepper

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.  Heat up the pita bread in oven for about 5 minutes to make them a little crisp.

3.  Spread tomato pesto onto one side of each pita bread, and place them pesto side up on a baking sheet.  Top with tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, feta cheese, and parmesan cheese.  Drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper.

4.  Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven or until pita breads are crisp.  Cut into quarters and serve. 

Basically, this is just a pizza, so add whatever vegetables or toppings you desire, at whatever amount you like.  We had some cooked chicken already made, so I added chicken to ours (although I gave Travis all the chicken from mine).  Delicious and a very quick and easy meal.

Cal. 350, Cholesterol 13mg, Fiber 6.9g, Sodium 587mg, Carbs 41.6g, Fat 17.1g, Protein 11.6g

From allrecipes.com

1 comment:

  1. We used to make a variation of these and called them "Pitta Pizzas". You can make them like pizza with some pizza sauce, and toppings that you love. Thanks for putting this in, I had forgotten about them!

    ReplyDelete